Show Me The Paintings! Click on a title below to view what I've been doing...

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Accepted: Pacific Northwest Plein Air 2012

I am excited to announce that I was accepted  again to be part of the Pacific NW Plein Air event in Hood River.  This is a plein air painting event, which means that all art in the competition has been painted outdoors rather than in a studio.  The paint out starts August 31, and all paintings must be submitted by September 4.  The opening reception is Friday September 7 at the Columbia Art Gallery in Hood River, OR. 


 This is a juried competition, which means that all the artists participating submitted an application and examples of their plein air work, and a panel of judges decided which artists would participate.  It is a huge honor to be chosen as part of this event, especially considering the high caliber of artists participating.

Investing In Gold  11x14 pastel  2011 PNWPA   sold
Last year was my first time participating in the event.  I made the mistake of driving back and forth rather than staying in Hood River for the paint out.  I'm not going to make that mistake again!  I like to paint during the late afternoon and evening, so that's what I'm going to do.  Morning light is lovely too, but I'm not really a morning person.  I'd like to have some plein air work done ahead of time in case the painting I produce during the paint out aren't up to my standards.  I'm going to have fun, stay relaxed, and just paint for the joy of it.  
Haven  8x10 pastel  2011 PNWPA   sold


I love the Columbia River Gorge, and I'm excited to have a reason to spend more time up there to paint!  Paul and I lived in Hood River in the mid-80's, and it's fun to drive around and marvel at how the town has changed from logging town to the thriving tourist destination it has become.  Hood River is unique in that it is perched between the hot dry east and the temperate western part of the state.  It's right in between Mt Adams to the north and Mt Hood to the south, the Columbia River runs along its northern border.  The views are magnificent, and the wind is legendary.   I can hardly wait to find more magic there!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments- thanks!